- Executive Toolbox
- Career Center
- About Us
This is an excerpt from Giger's acceptance remarks as the 2013 Association Partner of the Year at the TRENDS 2013 Salute to Association Excellence. Giger is senior director-sales and industry relations for Hilton Worldwide. Photo by www.ChuckFazio.com.
This IS a big deal to me - to be sharing the dais with long- time friend and industry giant, John Graham, THE leader of THE association for the association world. (Footnote- I’ve always said John and I could be bookends, as we are the same age and same height!)
You know, it’s an amazing industry in which we work. We don’t just “do time” at a job. We all work together, travel together, dine together, party together, and form countless special and lasting friendships, unlike many other industries.
I am SO glad to be a part of it for over 40 years, and to do so representing just a legendary, ever growing, and amazing enterprise, Hilton Worldwide.
I’m not an industry expert, but I’ve seen and done a lot in our industry through the years. So I’d like to take the liberty of imparting 3 priorities for you in closing:
1. Work hard and smart but always maintain respect, honor, and dignity. And maintain life balance, so hard to do in this busy world. Work hard and play hard, but keep it all in check.
2. Get involved. Help our dynamic industry, and your own organizations, continue to grow and succeed. Volunteer. Never stop learning OR trying to teach. NETWORK!
3. Care! Take the time to show you care:
- with our industry elders that may need some support and feeling of relevance;
- with industry juniors, that can use a mentor, your knowledge, and experience, and people new to your company, your markets, and the industry;
- with your coworkers, that depend upon you and vice versa.
CARE! Your passion for caring will pave the way for greatness!
This IS a big deal for me. I’m extremely flattered and extremely grateful for you all being here today- on this VERY special day in my life. Thank you all so much!