- Executive Toolbox
- Career Center
- About Us
Tables had to be added as ASAE's Summit Awards Dinner drew more than 1,100 to a packed National Building Museum in Washington last night.
The evening raised about $650,000, of which $350,000 will go to the Power of A Fund, according to ASAE public policy SVP Jim Clarke, CAE. In his remarks, dinner co-chairman Steven C. Anderson noted the importance of funding ASAE's efforts on Capitol Hill.
"ASAE led a massive, massive effort on Capitol Hill" to educate lawmakers on the detrimental affect that some bills will have that restrict federal employees' attendance at meetings, Anderson said.
ASAE honored the community programs of six associations with the Summit Award:
- The Healthy Camp Study, American Camp Association, Martinsville, Ind., represented by ACA president Patricia Bolger and Ian C. Garner, camp and youth organization relations director, Markel Corp.
- ACS Entrepreneurial Initiative, American Chemical Society, Washington, represented by CEO Madeleine Jacobs
- ETHICANA: Anti-Corruption Education & Training Global ACET Project, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Va., represented by executive director Patricia Natale and 2004-05 chairman William Howard
- 12th Annual Food Checkout Day Benefit, Cook County Farm Bureau, Countryside, Ill., represented by president Guzmer James and VP Michael Rauch
- IEEE Humanitarian Technology Challenge, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), Piscataway, N.J., represented by technical activities managing director Mary Ward-Callan
- The Officer Placement Service, Military Officers Association of America, Alexandria, Va. Pictured above are, from left, ASAE CEO John Graham IV, CAE; master of ceremonies Velma Hart, FASAE, CAE, CFO, Thurgood Marshall College Fund; Capt. Jim Carman, USN-ret., director of MOAA officer placement program; MOAA president VAdm Norbert Ryan, USN-ret., and a past TRENDS Association Executive of the Year; dinner co-chairman Steven C. Anderson, IOM, CAE, CEO, National Association of Chain Drug Stores and a past TRENDS Association Executive of the Year; awards presenter Christie Tarantino, CAE, CEO, Association Forum of Chicagoland; and dinner co-chairman and ASAE immediate past chairman Peter O'Neil, FASAE, CAE, executive director, American Industrial Hygiene Association.
As Hart was concluding the event, Graham, in an unscripted moment, took over the microphone from Hart to say, "Thank you to this lady. She has done a fantastic job these past five years."
The program's timing conflicted with the first debate for the U.S. presidency; ASAE scheduled the evening before the debate date was announced. To accommodate those who wished to watch the debate, ASAE on-the-spot rearranged the evening to shorten the program. Details: www.asaecenter.org.
For photos of the ASAE 2012 Summit Awards Dinner, go to www.associationtrends.com/events.