The former treasurer of the West Central Ag Sales Association must pay back $50,000 that he stole from the association, per a plea agreement. Robert Craig Starz pleaded guilty in June to felony theft by swindle. Per the plea agreement, he brought an envelope containing $15,000 to the sentencing, much of it in cash. His felony conviction may be reduced to a misdemeanor upon successful completion of probation requirements. Starz was sentenced to serve 10 years of probation, with conditions including cognitive skills training and a written letter of apology. He was a 35-year member and 10-year treasurer of West Central Ag Sales Association.
Arizona Healthy Working Families, the group behind a ballot initiative to make the state's minimum wage $12 an hour by 2020, wants a lawsuit challenging the measure from making it on November's ballot to be dismissed. The lawsuit was filed by the Arizona Restaurant Association, and questions the petition signatures filed to get it in front of voters in November. AZ Healthy Working Families submitted more than 271,000 signatures to the Secretary of State's Office to get the measure on November's ballot.
Center for Exhibition Industry Research released two more reports from its newest series, 2016 Changing Environment of Exhibitions. This study consists of 10 fact sheets articulating the power of exhibitions from the perspective of exhibitors, including its most recent Marketers Find Exhibitions an Essential Marketing and Sales Tactic and Exhibitions Deliver Unique Value Not Provided by Other Marketing Channels. The 2016 Changing Environment of Exhibitions study dives into the minds of executives who are involved in the decision to exhibit at business-to-business exhibitions, as well as other promotional and advertising decisions for their company. The reports are available for download from the CEIR website. Nonmembers may purchase each report for $49.
National Beer Wholesalers Association applauds America’s craft brewers for their continued growth. The Brewers Association released data today showing that production volume by American craft brewers, as defined by BA, increased 8 percent during the first half of the year. As of June 30, a record high of 4,656 breweries were operating in the U.S, an increase of 917 breweries over the same time period of the previous year. Additionally, there were approximately 2,200 breweries in planning.
New business relations for Destination Marketing Association International:
- Blue Pay, a credit card processing company to provide for a turnkey and merchant-friendly option. A portion of the proceeds from the program will benefit the Destination and Travel Foundation.
- Longwoods International is enhancing its existing partnership with DMAI by offering exclusive pricing to new and existing customers for two studies – Travel USA and Halo Effect.
- Miles, a premier partner with DMAI, is now the association’s communications and branding partner. Plans include revamping DMAI’s website, social media channels, email marketing and more.
- Strategic Data Resources, the provider of TAP products, and another longtime DMAI partner, is developing the TAP Data Source, a new report available to hotel chains, asset managers, and financial analysts. A significant portion of the proceeds from the sale of this new product to industry partners will be donated to the Destination & Travel Foundation.
HighRoad Solutions has produced a series of webinars that are designed to bring for-profit marketing research into the association world. The next webinar will be on "Marketing Performance Management” at noon ET Aug. 9, and is eligible for 1 CAE credit. Register here.
Venable law firm D.C.’s office will conduct a luncheon program/weinar on “Key Trademark and Copyright Developments Around the World: Implications for Nonprofits in China, Europe, Cuba, and Beyond,” beginning at noon ET Aug. 17. Moderator will be Jeffrey S. Tenenbaum, Esq., partner and chair of the Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable LLP. Speakers include Andrew Price, Esq., partner, Trademarks and Brand Protection Practice, Venable LLP; Justin Pierce, Esq., partner, Trademarks and Brand Protection Practice, Venable LLP. Register here.
Florida Society of Association Executives presented leadership awards at its recent annual conference:
- Executive of the Year - Rachel Luoma, CAE, chief staff executive, VP, Partners in Association Management
- Associate of the Year - Kristin Marshall, group sales director, SunStream Hotels
- Executive Rising Star - Richard Brown, business manager and account executive, Center for Fine Arts Education
- Associate Rising Star - Cheryl James, sales director, Hilton Worldwide
- Association of the Year - Partners in Association Management
- Supporting Associate Organization of the Year - Visit Tampa Bay (Fla.)